Cornbread is pretty perfect. We thought we’d make it even more perfect by adding our favorite thing: naturally hickory smoked bacon.
And we don’t stop there. We load this cornbread to the brim with spicy jalapeño, yellow onion, and sweet honey. But the hearty, smoky goodness is what makes it truly loaded.
1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Place 10” cast iron skillet in the oven.
2. While that gets hot, cook up 10 slices of bacon until crispy (to make crumbling easier). Allow the bacon to cool slightly, crumble bacon into a bowl, and set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine cornbread batter and cheddar cheese. Reserve to the side.
4. In small sauté pan over medium low heat, cook onions and jalapeños until the onions begin to caramelize.
5. Using oven mitts, remove hot skillet from oven. Evenly distribute bacon, onions and jalapeños across the bottom of the skillet. Pour prepared cornbread mix over sauté blend. Place skillet back into the oven for 4 minutes.
6. Baste bread with butter and return to oven. Repeat the basting procedure every 2 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown and slightly firm.